[RADIATOR] Promethues Metrics Exporter/Conflicts with Forks

Kelsey Cummings kelsey.cummings at sonic.com
Thu Jul 8 02:52:27 UTC 2021

On 7/2/2021 4:22 AM, Tarko Tikan wrote:
> hey,
>
>> Count me as interested. It would feel less of a hack.
>
> I'm still interested in proper solution as well but I can confirm that
> this hack works just fine for us since I introduced it.

Turns out it works fine just as long as you aren't forking using
FarmSize which predictably results in randomly receiving local stats to
whichever fork accepts the request first.  This may not be readily apparent.

It's also not abundantly clear if either Monitor or SNMPAgent actually
function as expected when there's multiple forks either.  It's not
spelled out in the docs clearly in any case leaving one to assume it
works as advertised.

Some shenanigans reopening ports in FarmChildHook and explicitly talking
to each fork and then adding every variable together is a conceivable
but simultaneously unappealing solution.

Is there a canonical way to combine per fork stats in a single place?

--
kelsey.cummings at sonic.com                 sonic.net, inc.
System Architect                          2260 Apollo Way