[RADIATOR] Infinite retries in AuthByLOADBALANCE

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Fri Nov 20 13:11:02 UTC 2020

On 5.11.2020 23.37, Hugh Irvine wrote:

> I know Heikki has been looking at related issues, so I’ll let him follow up with you.

Yes, AuthBy HASHBALANCE chooseHost() behaviour was enhanced in Radiator
4.25.

What it now does better is that when next hop Hosts go missing, the
requests are distributed more evenly while not changing the next hop if
the default target for a request is still alive.

It already knew to stop when MaxTargetHosts configuration parameter was
hit or if there were no Hosts left that had not been tried yet.
MaxTargetHosts was moved in 4.14 from VOLUMEBALANCE to AuthBy RADIUS and
therefore is available for all its derivatives.

I'd say immediate help with recent versions is to use MaxTargetHosts.
What we'll do is to revisit the logic, as suggested by Frank, for
LOADBALANCE and for other proxy algorithms too, as needed.

Frank, thanks for taking a look at this!

Heikki

anywhere. SQL, proxy, DBM, files, LDAP, TACACS+, PAM, Active Directory,
EAP, TLS, TTLS, PEAP, WiMAX, RSA, Vasco, Yubikey, HOTP, TOTP,
DIAMETER etc. Full source on Unix, Windows, MacOSX, Solaris, VMS, etc.