[RADIATOR] AuthBy FAILUREPOLICY always results in IGNORE

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Thu Feb 6 12:39:52 UTC 2020

On 05/02/2020 14.24, Ralf Wenk wrote:

> The handler statements are
>
> <Handler Client-Identifier=IZ, Realm=VPN>
>          AcctLogFileName %L/vpn/AcctLog-%Y-%m
>          RewriteUsername s/@.+//o
>          UsernameCharset a-z0-9
>          <AuthBy FAILUREPOLICY>
>                  Identifier          Fail_Policy
>                  ConsecutiveFailures 5
>                  ConsecutiveLockTime 300
>                  CumulativeFailures  200
>                  CumulativeLockTime  14400
>                  CumulativeWindow    43200
>          </AuthBy>
>          AuthBy          SQL_VPN
>          AuthLog         AuthLogFile-VPN
>          AuthLog         AuthLogSyslog-VPN
>          AuthLog         AuthLogSQL-VPN
>          AuthBy          SQL_Acct_Log_VPN
>          Identifier      VPN
> </Handler>
>
> and the Radiator version is 4.24-10.
>
> I think the cause is behind the "No failure policy history exists ..."
> message.

Quite likely so. This means that there's no history yet for the user. If
there should be, then the it's likely that nothing has created and
updated the history for the user.

> Did I make a wrong assumption or is there a configuration mistake in
> the FAILUREPOLICY I do not see?

There's one thing that seems to be missing, note that in
failurepolicy.cfg goodies file there's PostAuthHook defined. This hook
checks the result and then maintains the history.

If you try the goodies configuration sample with, for example SQLite,
watching the SQL updates gives a good look at who it works. When the
information is kept in-memory, functionality is similar.

> By the way, "3.114.8. CumulativeLockTime" of the manual shows
> "ConsecutiveLockTime" as the configuration statement not the
> "CumulativeLockTime" one.

Thanks for the note. I'll see that it gets fixed.
Heikki

anywhere. SQL, proxy, DBM, files, LDAP, TACACS+, PAM, Active Directory,
EAP, TLS, TTLS, PEAP, WiMAX, RSA, Vasco, Yubikey, HOTP, TOTP,
DIAMETER etc. Full source on Unix, Windows, MacOSX, Solaris, VMS, etc.