[RADIATOR] memory leaks

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Mon Dec 23 11:23:58 UTC 2019

On 22.12.2019 19.12, Jan Tomasek wrote:

> I disabled CRL downloading for two days and it is clearly visible that
> memory leak is related to CRL reloading:
>    http://tomasek.cz/stuff/memusage_radiusd-20191222.png

Thanks for the verification.

With 4.24-3, the growth rate seems to be similar (about 1.5GB) to what
it was before the 4.24-3 version. Is that Debian 9 (Stretch) that you
are using? It's likely something that is related to API usage, but I
thought I'd make sure what library Net::SSLeay is linked against.

Just to check: the .pm file checksums match so you have the updated
files, but would there be any possibility that they are not in use?

As you wrote, the CRL file sizes are not very large but if there are a
lot of Handlers or other clauses that refer to them, then the cumulative
size could be large. If so, I would expect that would be some visible
change in memory usage but now it seems not.

Because CRLs are loaded for each SSL context (SSL_CTX) I'll see if, for
example, more work is needed to release resources in each SSL_CTX after
CRL reload. Can you estimate how many clauses, and thus SSL_CTX
instances, you have in your config? I noticed you have quite a few
RadSec peers

Thanks,
Heikki

anywhere. SQL, proxy, DBM, files, LDAP, TACACS+, PAM, Active Directory,
EAP, TLS, TTLS, PEAP, WiMAX, RSA, Vasco, Yubikey, HOTP, TOTP,
DIAMETER etc. Full source on Unix, Windows, MacOSX, Solaris, VMS, etc.