[RADIATOR] What TPS are you getitng on your radiator

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Fri Dec 13 13:36:52 UTC 2019

On 10/12/2019 15.52, cihangir sinan koca wrote:

> What we are facing is, servers are unable to process more packet than
> 50-60 TPS. After i while its not writing the problem in logs, its not
> answering to any packet.
>
> Is it expected ? Or are we doing something wrong ?

I'd say it's possible and possibly not, respectively :)

Database access is synchronous. If DB takes a long time to respond, it
will lower TPS rate for a single Radiator instance. To fix this, you
take a look at FarmSize parameter to increase the number of instances to
make processing parallel.

FarmSize works with protocols such as PAP, MSCHAP and its derivatives
and RADIUS accounting. With EAP you need to do more because it uses
multiple messages for each authentication and the related messages must
be processed by the same instance.

To summarise: there can be many reasons why TPS rate is low. Sometimes
indexing on the DB side helps a lot, sometimes there are DNS requests
for each query or it may be a number of different things such as a
complex configuration that consults 3 databases for each request. You
should also check that you are not using debug logging while trying to
test performance.

I would look at DB indexing and logs on the DB side and Radiator
configuration log level and complexity on Radiator side.

Thanks,
Heikki

anywhere. SQL, proxy, DBM, files, LDAP, TACACS+, PAM, Active Directory,
EAP, TLS, TTLS, PEAP, WiMAX, RSA, Vasco, Yubikey, HOTP, TOTP,
DIAMETER etc. Full source on Unix, Windows, MacOSX, Solaris, VMS, etc.