[RADIATOR] configuration validation

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Tue Mar 14 09:00:01 UTC 2017

On 13.3.2017 16.54, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

>> There's -c option for radiusd. It will read the configuration and
>> checks what it can. It does not, for example, attempt to connect to
>> SQL databases, so it will not catch those types of problems.
>
> it does appear to do RADSEC connections though. maybe SQL connectivity should
> be part of the test (or an option with another flag?)

Correct, it seems that RADSEC hosts are activated and try to connect.
Good catch, I'll see if this should be changed for config check.

A flag for testing external connections is probably needed since, for
example, what we do in some cases is to run tests in a separate
environment where connection attempts would not work. But I can see that
in some cases the connectivity testing would be a better option.

We'll need to think about this.

>> There's actually work ongoing to enhance configuration checking.
>> Currently the output from -c is more for human consumption, so the
>> exit code, for example, does not reflect the check results. We are
>> looking at returning different exit codes depending of level of
>> problem (warning, error) from -c run.
>
> yes, interesting timing on this query since I've been recently in contact
> with OSC over this feature :)

Indeed :) What we have used is the wrapper that checks logs, but exit
codes would be a useful addition too.

>> What you could do now is to wrap radiusd -c invocation with a script
>> that greps errors and warnings and then returns non-zero exit code.
>
> ...if you get output ;-)

To clarify this a bit for the list members, a couple of cases, such as
badly formatted <Handler ...> selector is not logged during -c run yet.
So this is under work too.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.