[RADIATOR] help diagnosing failure to connect to LDAP

Jennifer Mehl jennifer.mehl at ucsb.edu
Wed May 11 13:02:46 CDT 2016

Thanks for the information.

The stdout/console logs yielded no additional information from Perl’s LDAP library, still only "ERR: Could not open LDAP connection to *redacted*:636. Backing off for 60 seconds" so I decided to look into SSL issues as the next logical step.

It turns out that the server on which we are running Radiator is using a newer version of OpenSSL that enforces against using weak DH keys (to prevent Logjam attack).  Using "openssl s_client -showcerts" to connect and show the server SSL certificates, I could see openssl reporting that the certificate on the LDAP server was using a certificate with a “too small” DH key:

140309439825560:error:14082174:SSL routines:ssl3_check_cert_and_algorithm:dh key too small:s3_clnt.c:3615:

I resolved this by disallowing DH ciphers sent by the client in the radius config:
	SSLCiphers DEFAULT:!EXPORT:!LOW:!DH

Radiator is now able to connect (and bind) to the LDAP server over SSL.

—Jennifer