[RADIATOR] Request for enhancement: Log Handler InfluxDB or at least UDP

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Fri Jan 29 11:31:23 CST 2016

On 26.1.2016 17.31, Karl Gaissmaier wrote:

> I'm in the process to feed an InfluxDB from RADIATOR logfiles. Much
> nicer would it be if RADIATOR team would implement:
>
> <Log INFLUXDB> with the very simple but effective line protocol over
> HTTP or at least an generic
> <Log UDP> with a proper logformat hook done by the users and shipped as
> goodies.

How about starting with a logformat hook to generate the datapoints in
the line protocol format and then using, for example, curl to send the
files to InfluxDB? I'm think about this:

https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v0.9/guides/writing_data/

and 'Writing points from a file' described therein.

> Interested? Have a look at https://blog.haschek.at/post/fc060

Yes, this is very interesting. I looked at the line protocol
specification and it should be easy to implement with a formatting hook
for authentication. Accounting should be fairly easy too.

It might be worth considering a seprate log agent to forward the logs to
InfluxDB (or in genral to other logging, graphing, etc. systems). This
would separate the duties: radiator would create formatted logs and the
agent could handle the actual log forwarding.

This would also make it easier to add accounting and debug log
forwarding too since they can already be formatted when written to files.

If you need help with logformat hook, just let me know. I am interested
in helping you with this.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.