[RADIATOR] random EAP authentication errors since 4.17

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Tue Dec 13 06:59:44 UTC 2016

On 1.12.2016 17.02, Hartmaier Alexander wrote:

> We're fighting duplicate requests due to slow responses because of
> PEAP-TLS many exchanged packets.
>
> Is FarmSize still unusable when enabling EAP_UseState because the EAP
> context data isn't shared between the forked childs?

This has not changed. EAP_UseState does not change this. Even if EAP
context data kept by Radiator could be shared between children, there's
still the TLS state that lives within the TLS library that can not be
easily shared.

> Can Gossip be used to share this state between the childs or the State
> attribute to balance all requests of one EAP session always to the same
> child?

Gossip, or some other method, could be used for sharing EAP context.
However, the problem with TLS based EAP methods is the TLS state.

> I've added this line to all PostAuthHooks and everything seems to work
> as it should:
>
> my $self = $p->{AuthBy};
> my $context = $self->getEAPContext($p);

I strongly advice to get context like this:
my $context = $p->{EAPContext};

> return
>         if Net::SSLeay::session_reused($context->{ssl});
>
> As I currently don't log if an auth was an EAP auth or a session
> resumption I can't tell if the session resumption works.

The session_reused() call will tell this.

Please note that as I wrote earlier, I'd consider EAP authentication
that uses TLS session resumption as EAP authentication too.

> Can you please advice how to log session resumption?

For now I'd use the session_reused() check with the Hook.

For help with hooks, I have thought about the following: Add a resume
counter in EAP context. If resume support is off, the counter would
always have undefined value. When resume support is enabled, the counter
would be initialised to 0 and incremented for each resume. This would
allow you to simply check 'if ($context->{eap_tls_resume_count})' to see
if a TLS resume was done.

This counter could also be used to enforce policies, for example, an
upper for how many times (not just for how long) a session can be
resumed. This could also be something that can be logged in
authentication log for example for statistics.

When the resume happens and information that needs to be kept over
resumed sessions is recovered, a hook can be added to do any local
processing that might be required to recover custom information used by
the current configuration. In addition to this, a user specific opaque
value (could be a simple scalar or reference, for example) can be copied
over by the code. The user hooks could then use this as they wish.

In short: we can enhance the support for storing configuration specific
data in the resume information and can add a counter that can be used to
detect resumption with hooks.

Thanks,
Heikki