[RADIATOR] Suggestion: Support of TLS Session Resumption based on tickets and not just session IDs

Nadav Hod nadav.hod at comm-it.co.il
Fri Oct 30 17:09:42 CDT 2015

I understand the concern. If OSC were to add support of session tickets to their roadmap it would likely take some time until that first version would be GA. After all they already have a form of TLS session resumption which has wide adoption, so it wouldn't likely be a priority. It is argueably the better form of session resumption for large deployments although there are ways to overcome the memory demands of large session tables between AAA/web servers. Even so if I didn't read up on TLS 1.3 just now I would think it's worthwhile adding it to the roadmap for scalability reasons.

Looking into the draft for TLS 1.3, it reads that the IETF's working group plan on obsoleting both session IDs and RFC 5077 (session tickets). They plan on developing on the idea of RFC 5077 using preshared keys which can also act as tickets, thus allowing in-band session resumption and out-of-band authentication. The latest draft is located here:
https://tlswg.github.io/tls13-spec/#rfc.section.6.2.3

Seeing as they are planning on obsoleting both forms of known session resumption, and using the concept of tickets differently, perhaps it's best to wait until OSC's adoption of TLS 1.3 (when it becomes finalized) and give RFC 5077 a pass should the working group decide that it become obsolete.

What do you think?