[RADIATOR] Processing delay in Diameter

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Fri Mar 27 03:56:16 CDT 2015

On 26.3.2015 14.45, Kaspar Jasper wrote:

> My Diameter peer sometimes complains about Diameter timeouts, which is 5
> seconds. Debugging leads me to the interesting detail - Diameter
> messages sometimes are processing with delays in Radiator.
>
> For instance, Radiator's server Wireshark capture:
> No.    Time               Source         Destination   Protocol Length Info
> 231521 09:00:58.997242000 xxx.xxx.xx.xx  xxx.xxx.xx.xx DIAMETER 1622
> cmd=Accounting Request(271) flags=RP-- appl=Diameter Base Accounting(3)
> h2h=253e8654 e2e=253e8654
>
> But in the Radiator this request appears 5.2 second later:
> Thu Mar 26 09:01:04 2015 029052: DEBUG: StateMachine::event event

Most likely you see this request as delayed because there is already a
queue in the OS receive buffer. That is, the previous messages have
taken longer than than usually.

I would take a look at the request processing flow and consider what
external lookups radiusd is doing. For example, DNS lookups, SQL DB
queries and so on. Some functions in Radius/Util.pm may do DNS lookups.
This can happen if they are given a name instead of IP address.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.