[RADIATOR] Change Default Size for Capabilities Field

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Wed Sep 24 13:10:04 CDT 2014

On 09/24/2014 08:13 AM, James Austin wrote:

> The "Framed-MTU=2000" attribute in the Access Request appears to be the problem.

Frament size of 2000 does look a bit large. It's larger than Ethernet
MTU is so it would cause fragmentation on the IP layer.

However, even if the NAS says the MTU between itself and the mobile
station is 2000, Radiator will use MTU of 1400. The recommended MTU in
AuthBy WIMAX is 1400 and it will be used if the Framed-MTU exceeds the
recommended value. The idea here is that IP layer fragmentation should
be avoided.

Taking another look at the debug you sent earlier, I see 'Framed-MTU =
1400' is sent back to the WiMAX NAS in the final Access-Accept.

You could try adding this in the Handler that contains AuthBy WIMAX
 StripFromReply Framed-MTU

The Access-Accept should then have no Framed-MTU.

In other words, the value of Framed-MTU = 2000 should not be a problem
for Radiator. EAP-TTLS can also split large EAP payloads, such as
certificate chains, into multiple messages but it likely fragments using
2000 as the limit. These will be then be fragmented on the IP layer. The
IP destination's operating system will then collect the IP layer
fragments seen by Wireshark. IP layer fragmentation is usually avoided
since, for example, some WLAN access points have had problems dealing
with IP fragments.

What might be happening is that the WiMAX NAS does not like Radiator
returning a different MTU it sends. This may be the case if you see
something related to MTUs in the log.

Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,
Heikki