[RADIATOR] CRLs not working with EAP TLS

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Wed Mar 26 16:09:06 CDT 2014

On 03/24/2014 11:59 PM, Markus Moeller wrote:

> I have setup EAP-TLS for wired 802.1x using CRLCheck, but I noticed that
> despite having the certificate serial number in the CRL Radiator still
> accepts the presented certificate ( I also can see Radiator re-read the
> CRL file) .

Hello Markus,

I did some testing, compiled the Net-SSLeay 1.58 and OpenSSL 1.0.1e. I
see the same as you: the file change is noticed by Radiator and the file
is loaded. The changes, however, do not have any effect.

If I just touch the file without changing it, the libs give the 'cert
already in hash table' error.

>  I was trying to verify that the serial numbers match using
> the EAPTLS_CertificateVerifyHook function but can’t extract the
> certificate serial number. I tried with  my $ai =
> &Net::SSLeay::X509_get_serialNumber($x509);  which I read does not give
> the serial  number but an ASN.1 encoded string. Does anybody have a tool
> which converts it into a serial number which I can compare to the CRL
> serial number ?

Are thinking of this?

my $ai = Net::SSLeay::X509_get_serialNumber($x509); \
my $rv = Net::SSLeay::ASN1_INTEGER_get($ai); \
print "ai: $ai rv: $rv\n"; \

> Does anybody has CRL working for EAP TLS ?

It does look like a restart is needed when the CRL is refreshed. The
verify against CRL seems to work, but refreshing the CRL without restart
looks problematic.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.