[RADIATOR] Usage quotas

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Wed Mar 5 08:53:15 CST 2014

On 03/04/2014 04:37 AM, sergio wrote:

> We are wanting to implement traffic share by users. Ie, the user
> would have a bandwidth of 10Mbps but with monthly limit of 5Gbps of
> traffic, as you reach 5Gbps of traffic we would reduce the speed to
> 1Mbps

Hello Sergio,

the tools for this might be SQL database for data storage, RFC 5176
RADIUS dynamic authorization extensions for traffic shaping if real-time
reduction is needed and vendor specific attributes for setting the 1Mbps
speed limit when the users log in. This would be the case for RADIUS.
Diameter has different tools for this, but the above assumes the users
authentication and accounting is RADIUS based.

There are multiple ways to do such a configuration, but the details
depend on knowing more about what you have and what your environment is.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.