[RADIATOR] Wireless client verification of Radiator's SSL cert EAP/PEAP

Michael Rodrigues mrodrigues at education.ucsb.edu
Wed Jun 18 17:48:24 CDT 2014

Hi,

I've been searching around the list and the Internet trying to figure
out how a wireless client can verify the hostname of the SSL cert
provided by Radiator through the NAS as an SMTP or HTTP client would,
but I can't seem to find anything insightful. I'm not concerned with how
the client uses the SSL chain and its included CAs to verify the cert
cryptographically.

For one, the client doesn't have Internet to make a reverse lookup until
they accept the cert.

Second, even if they were allowed DNS before authentication, someone
controlling the network could easily catch and spoof the reverse lookup
reply to make their cert look legitimate (assuming it was
cryptographically legitimate).

I'm doing some development/testing and I notice that iOS and Windows 8
seem to see my certificate as valid but not "verified". I setup a PTR
record to match my host and cert name but it didn't seem to make any
difference. I monitored tcpdump while authenticating from OS X and I see
no PTR requests

  I realize each client can have a different implementation. Is it even
possible to legitimately verify a certificate hostname for clients using
PEAP and EAP? I'd like to be as secure as possible without resorting to
client-side certificates.

Thanks,
Michael

--