[RADIATOR] Differences in specifying EAP certificates in configuration

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Mon Jun 9 14:34:23 CDT 2014

On 06/09/2014 09:55 PM, Johnson, Neil M wrote:

> Should I be doing this:
>
> 		EAPTLS_CAFile %D/certificates/prod2017/net-auth-1_its_uiowa_edu.cer
> 		EAPTLS_CertificateFile %D/certificates/prod2017/net-auth-1_its_uiowa_edu_cert.cer
> 		EAPTLS_CertificateType PEM
> 		EAPTLS_PrivateKeyFile %D/certificates/prod2017/privateKey.key
> 		EAPTLS_PrivateKeyPassword <Secret>

I think this works the same as the other example below.

A thing to note seems to be that with CertificateChainFile the server
certificate must be the first certificate, just like you have.

I think the difference between CAFile and CertificateChainFile becomes
important when client certificate is required. For example, with EAP-TLS
the clients may have a different root CA than the server does. In this
case you'd specify the server side certificates with
CertificateChainFile and the client side with CAFile.

> Or should I be doing this:
>
> 		EAPTLS_CertificateChainFile %D/certificates/prod2017/net-auth-1_its_uiowa_edu.cer
> 		EAPTLS_CertificateType PEM
> 		EAPTLS_PrivateKeyFile %D/certificates/prod2017/privateKey.key
> 		EAPTLS_PrivateKeyPassword <Secret>
>
> Where:
> File: net-auth-1_its_uiowa_edu_cert just contains the Server Certificate
> and
> File: net-auth-1_its_uiowa_edu.cer contains a chain of certificates starting with the server certificate, followed by an intermediate certificate, and then finally the CA certificate.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.