[RADIATOR] Delayed Stop Record and Active Sessions

Michael ringo at vianet.ca
Sun Feb 23 04:38:55 CST 2014

Hi Rohan,

I think you pretty much should be deleting sessions using the session id
included in the delete criteria, for accuracy.  But, NOT using the
session id in your count query.

The 'state limit' function i think you are referring to is tough to do.
I assume you mean user session limits.  I don't think you can actually
implement session limits accurately.   It's just not possible to do it
"accurately".  yes, the options are there and the idea exists, but i
don't think it can ever be as accurate as you would expect it to be.
Even if you solve your issues described here, there's always a
possibility active sessions fail/drop/die and your device still holds
onto that session for a given time until it realize that the session
truly is lost, then sends the Stop packet. Maybe your problem is not
delayed stop packets, but sessions that just have not stopped yet
because the device still thinks the session is active.

So ya, when user logs back in, if you for example have session limits of
1, you are now rejecting your user. My personal experience is you need
to have a very solid infrastructure (like fiber) to your customers and a
low 'keep alive' time in order to have strict user session limits.  But,
for an infrastructure like cable/dsl where sync's are lost, things drop,
and other problems, you may want to think about using n + 1.  Meaning,
your desired session limit, plus 1.  This allows your customer to always
log back in if their session drops but they're old session still shows
active.  Yes, they can now have 1 more session than you want to allow.
It's a trade off.  If you want to be strict, you have to expect your
users to be rejected due to dead sessions.