[RADIATOR] logging (radiator and authlog) and accounting to ElasticSearch

Klara Mall klara.mall at kit.edu
Mon Sep 23 12:59:27 CDT 2013

Hi Alexander,

On 09/20/2013 10:35 AM, Alexander Hartmaier wrote:
> I expected that Radiator executes the configured program in a forked
> process once and expects it to read from STDIN in an event loop.
> Seems the program is executed for every log message.

That's right, it's executed for every log message.

> What are your experiences with scaling and performance?

I never noticed any performance problem. I just counted the radius
accounting log messages (generated by this script on one server) we have
per day: it's about 700 000. Max per second is around 60.

On this server (with two multi-core CPUs) we have 8 radiator instances
running (load balancing with iptables).

But I agree, it would be better to have the possibility to log
accounting messages to syslog one per line from inside radiator. :)

Regards
Klara

--
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Steinbuch Centre for Computing (SCC)

Klara Mall
Netze und Telekommunikation (NET)
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1
76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen
Telefon: +49 721 608-28630
Telefon: +49 721 608-48946
E-Mail: klara.mall at kit.edu
Web: http://www.scc.kit.edu

KIT - Universität des Landes Baden-Württemberg und
nationales Forschungszentrum in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft