[RADIATOR] Problem in EAP-TLS for user authentication in Windows 8.1

Sami Keski-Kasari samikk at open.com.au
Thu Oct 24 06:57:38 CDT 2013

Hello,

One of our customers reported that EAP-TLS user authentication doesn't
work with Windows 8.1 against Radiator.

We investigated this further and there seems to be a problem with
Windows 8.1 EAP-TLS client and how it validates server certificates.

The problem is seen with NPS too. Windows 8.1 EAP-TLS doesn't work
against Microsoft NPS if you have validate server certificate option
enabled in Windows 8.1.

There are (at least) two options for workaround:
1. Easiest but unsecure option is to disable server certificate check in
Windows 8.1.
2. The bug doesn't affect EAP-PEAP. So you can configure Windows 8.1 to
use PEAP with EAP-TLS as inner authentication protocol. In that
configuration you can enable server certificate check in PEAP
configuration. You must disable server certificate check in inner
EAP-TLS configuration in Windows 8.1.

Best Regards,
  Sami

--