[RADIATOR] A way to verify that the number of failed attempt is lesser than 3 in the las 30 minutes

Jim Tyrrell jim at scusting.com
Wed May 22 13:44:07 CDT 2013

Could you log failed auth attempts to a database table (AuthLog SQL?)
and when a user connects have an initial AuthBy that checks this table
1st, and if they have 3 Auth failures in the last 30 minutes take the
appropriate action:

eg If Authlog updates a table called authlog then have an AuthBy that
has a query equivalent to:

SELECT Username FROM Radius.authlog
WHERE Username= %0
AND TIMESTAMP > (  UNIX_TIMESTAMP(now() - 1800)
GROUP BY USERNAME
HAVING COUNT(*) > 3

We do a similar thing but in reverse.  If the user has had a certain
number of failed auths in the day then any subsequent Auth failures
result in an automatic Access Accept that puts them into a walled garden
for an hour, stops them hammering authentication with bad requests.

Jim.