[RADIATOR] fticks anonymization in Radiator

Johan Carlquist johan.carlquist at su.se
Thu May 2 04:15:59 CDT 2013

Hi!

We at Stockholm University is about to implement fticks (<http://monitor.eduroam.org/f-ticks/>) in our Radiator.

Currently this is implemented by using the syslog module, see <https://confluence.terena.org/display/H2eduroam/How+to+deploy+eduroam+at+national+level#Howtodeployeduroamatnationallevel-Baseconfiguration/logging/F-Ticks> .

The idea is to hash the mac address before sending it to the main log service to anonymize the user.
This is the same behavior as RadsecProxy do. (<http://software.uninett.no/radsecproxy/docs/1.6/radsecproxy-hash.html>)

We intend to have 2 options;
	* hash the whole mac address
	* save the vendor part of the address and hash the rest.

When we have written the code we would love to commit it upstream to Radiator for others to use.

But we are not sure how to implement this.
Should we put  our new feature in the syslog module or is it possible to create a new module that inherits and depends on the already existing syslog module?
What is best practice and what do you recommend?

Johan Carlquist
Stockholm University