[RADIATOR] eduroam and radius servers

Bao Tran bao.tran at uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 27 11:08:31 CDT 2013

I'm trying to understand the traffic flow between an eduroam user and their home institution radius server. Ive been googling for a while but still dont fully understand the flow between the user and the radius server. Please shed some lights into my understanding:

1. User enter the username and password  to access eduroam.
2. the credentials pass to the wireless access point and pass to the visitor home institution radius server - On this step, the log on the radius server shows 'Access-Request'
3. The visitor institution radius server then pass the credentials to the user home radius server for authentication.
4. If the credentials are correct, then home radius server reply with an Access-Accept code.
5. If the user enter the wrong credentials, then the home radius server respond with either Access-Challenge or Access-Reject messages

Thank you everyone for sharing.