[RADIATOR] ActiveState Win32 and FailureBackoffTime

Robert Fisher robert at sitestar.net
Mon Jul 22 09:59:23 CDT 2013

I'm running on Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 with ActiveState perl,
using the DBD::ODBC to connect to local SQL Server instances.

However, I notice some times the service either starts before the DB
is ready (Despite having it defined in windows as dependent on both
SQL Server and SQL ServerAgent services)..Or that under higher load
a connection might timeout.

Even though I have the FailureBackoffTime defined to 300 or 5 minutes,
it seems to be ignored. The documentation does state the optional Timeout
parameter is ignored on ActiveState Win32, and I suspect that has more
to do with the level of control of TCP sockets in Win32 more than anything
else.

What I don't understand is why the FailureBackoffTime doesn't cause
Radiator to attempt a reconnect, and can see there's no second attempt
to reconnect because nothing new about the connection makes it into
the logs 5 - 10 - 15 minutes or even hours after the event until the
service/daemon is restarted.

So my questions are:

1)   Is some extra step required to use FailureBackoffTime in Windows?

2)    Alternatively, is there any way to hook into the connection lost
as an event so I can kill the radiator instance -- since that would at
least be able to signal to Windows that the service has "died" and
can then use the MS tools to try and restart the service and thus
resynch the connection.

Thanks in advance,

--
Robert Fisher