[RADIATOR] Radiator and radsecproxy, status-server and failover algo, one step forward

Karl Gaissmaier karl.gaissmaier at uni-ulm.de
Sun Jul 14 13:40:15 CDT 2013

Hi Alex, hi radiator team,

Am 14.07.2013 19:48, schrieb Alan Buxey:
> Hi
>
> As an end site you really shouldn't be sending invalid realms to your
> national proxy... but there does seem to be something odd gong on here.

I sent it to test this situation. As an eduroam ServiceProvider I don't
know if a client is misconfigured. OK, nornmally I reject top-level
realms, like the used '@akad' in my test, but some visitors have for
example:

1272017248108413 at wlan.mnc001.mcc262.3gppnetwork.org

and this has the same result. As an endpoint SP, I can't filter
for all wrong @realms, I don't know them all ,-)

> . their system should be just sending back a straight access reject.  If
> radsecproxy doesn't like extended proxy id (or the config doesn't allow
> it ) then that would be an issue

Yes, this is the issue.

I don't see the config of the federation-level-radius-proxy and the
admins are not very helpful, they state, thats a problem with Radiator
using extended Ids in the proxy-styte, e.g. they respomg with
RFC 5997, saying that Status-Server MUST NOT be proxied and therefore
the Proxy-State attribut isn't allowed.

> 4.4. Proxy Server Handling of Status-Server
>

>    Many RADIUS servers can act as proxy servers, and can forward
>    requests to another RADIUS server.  Such servers MUST NOT proxy
>    Status-Server packets.  The purpose of Status-Server as specified
>    here is to permit the client to query the responsiveness of a server
>    with which it has a direct relationship.  Proxying Status-Server
>    queries would negate any usefulness that may be gained by
>    implementing support for them.
>
>    Proxy servers MAY be configured to respond to Status-Server queries
>    from clients, and they MAY act as clients sending Status-Server
>    queries to other servers.  However, those activities MUST be
>    independent of one another.

What shall I do, Radiators AuthBy RADSEC Identifiers are always based
on proxy-State.

What does the radiator tesm says about RFC 5997.

Best Regards
    Charly