[RADIATOR] AuthBy RADIUS and UseExtendedIds, stripped Proxy-State and strange behavior after 256 requests

Karl Gaissmaier karl.gaissmaier at uni-ulm.de
Sun Jul 14 03:30:59 CDT 2013

Hi radiator team,

still debugging the nasty bug between radsecproxy and Radiator in
the eduroam connection between uni-ulm.de and radiusX.dfn.de, sigh!

I have the problem with 'AuthBy RADSEC', where always extendid IDs are
used. If someone is stripping/mangling the Proxy-State, the reply can't
be mapped to the request and the warning is printed:

> WARNING: Unknown reply received in AuthRADSEC for request  from 127.0.0.1:2083

The missing request Id can't mapped, therefore the additional blank in
the warning between 'request <> from'.

There is never a PacketTrace so see the buggy answer. A patch will come
soon to dump this, but wait and read to the end of my message.

Now I looked for the Radiator behavior for AuthBy RADIUS with
extended Ids and stripping Proxy-State. Wondering, it worked!

... But only for the first 256 Requests (8-Bits, 0xff mask in code)
and after that I got the same/similar warning:

> WARNING: Unknown reply received in AuthRADIUS for request 0 from 127.0.0.1:1900
> WARNING: Unknown reply received in AuthRADIUS for request 1 from 127.0.0.1:1900

You see, now the request Id is used from the 8-Bit Packet-Identifier,
but could notbe  mapped to the Proxy-State ExtendedId, since the 8 Bits
wrapped:

> Proxy-State = OSC-Extended-Id=256
> Proxy-State = OSC-Extended-Id=257

This is not optimal, since it works for a while after starting radiusd
and after 256 requests you get spurious errors.

Please fix this, if you UseExtendedIds in AuthBy RADIUS you should
always WARN if the Proxy-State is stripped or mangled.

And sure, we need better packet dumps in this case to see the
sent/missing/mangled attributes in the reply packet.

Best Regards
    Charly

--
Karl Gaissmaier