[RADIATOR] AuthBy Stats

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Wed Aug 21 12:57:20 CDT 2013

On 08/21/2013 12:51 AM, Barry Ard wrote:

> I am trying to get stats that show which AuthBy clauses in a handler
> have an ACCEPT result but haven't found a way to do it. The StatsLog
> shows the counts for requests going through an AuthBy but only the
> ACCEPTS for the Handler.

Hello Barry,

can you give an example that shows the behaviour you see?

The stats are collected like follows. Using this config as an example:

<Handler ...>
   AuthByPolicy ContinueUntilAccept
   AuthBy authby1
   AuthBy authby2
   AuthBy authby3
</Handler>

Lets say there are 3 requests and each of the requests is accepted by a
different AuthBy. In this case the counts for accepts are:

Handler: 3
authby1: 3
authby2: 2
authby3: 1

To quote the reference manual:
   Radiator collects statistics for the server as a whole, as
   well as for each Client, Realm, Handler, AuthBy and Host that
   a packet passes through.

Since all requests must hit authby1, its count will be 3. Since each of
the AuthBys accepts 1 request, authby1 sees all 3 requests, authby2 sees
2 and authby3 sees only one request.

In other words, this is a stats trail. When a certain counter type, e.g.
accessAccepts, is incremented, it increments the counters for all
modules that the request visited.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.