[RADIATOR] restartWrapper prevents bootup

Sun Seri sunseri at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Apr 24 09:27:04 CDT 2013

Sorry, minus the html.

OS: RHEL6
restartWrapper files:
The restartWrapper (perl file) is in /etc/init.d/restartWrapper
Symbolic link from /etc/rc.3.d/S90restartWrapper > /etc/init.d/restartWrapper
I performed a migration on VMware. So for all intent and purpose the source and target machine are identical.
On boot up of the target machine the services started up, including Radiator but failed on restartWrapper.
So I went in via interactive mode and skipped restartWrapper.
After some reading, including this:
"restartWrapper from inside a Unix startup script, you will need to follow the command line with an ampersand (&), otherwise the unix startup script will never complete."
It makes sense why eventWrapper hung on boot - without the ampersand the script it won't complete.
What's baffling is the same configuration works on the source machine. I have no idea how this can be.
Checking the process list after boot and can see the following (if I recall correctly):
/usr/bin/perl /etc/rc.3.d/S90restartWrapper --start
Indecently I can start this process on the target machine without any issues.
The only slight differences in VMs would be slight networking differences e.g default gateway specified for nic, however this shouldn't impact the restartWrapper?
Thanks,
Sun at baffledon