[RADIATOR] issues with wireless eap authentication (tls errors)

James Zee jameszee13 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:11:49 CDT 2012

All,

I have a handful of Radiator servers that authenticate wireless users.
Occasionally wireless authentication will fail on a given Radiator server.
The only thing I've found in the logs that raises eyebrows is this:

Sep 21 13:59:22 10.136.234.71 Sep 21 13:59:22 /opt/radiator/radiusd[1497]:
EAP PEAP TLS read failed:  1497: 1 - error:140D2081:SSL
routines:TLS1_ENC:block cipher pad is wrong

A reboot or stop / start of the daemon seems to fix the issue. Until the
daemon has been bounced, however, authentications consistently fail and the
number of these "block cipher pad is wrong" errors continues to go up.

I have found very little information when scouring the web in terms of what
the error means. What causes it? It seems to happen after the servers have
been on for a few days and authenticated many thousands of users. Maybe
it's a memory leak of some sort?

This has become extremely sevice impacting. Any thoughts on what may be
causing this would be greatly appreciated.

-james