[RADIATOR] Radiator working as Diameter

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Wed Oct 24 15:47:58 CDT 2012

On 10/24/2012 02:20 PM, Hrair Karaboyadjian wrote:

> I know that Radiator can work as a translator agent between diameter
> protocol and RADIUS protocol.

Yes. It does basic translation from Diameter to Radius.

> I would like to know, if Radiator can work as other diameter agents as
> well, and if not is there any plan for future development on Radiator to
> support this?

Currently Radiator does not implement any other agent functionality. Do
you have a specific agent type in mind?

> My final question is what functionality restriction will be if Radiator
> is used as translation agent

Diameter has grouped attributes which Radius does not have. Radiator
will translate grouped attributes, but the translated Radius request
will be flat. This may or may not be a problem depending on how the
translated request is used. Radius has tagged attributes which may be
useful when working with Diameter grouped attributes.

Diameter AVP number space is 32 bits. The first 255 AVP numbers match
Radiator attributes so translation works fine with these basic
attributes. If you need to work with AVP numbers larger than 255 you
need to consider using e.g. hooks and custom dictionaries to map AVP
numbers greater than 255 to Radius attributes.

These two are the main things I have noticed.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.