[RADIATOR] Change of Authorization

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Tue Oct 16 16:42:00 CDT 2012

Hello Rohan -

See below.

On 17 Oct 2012, at 04:11, <rohan.henry at cwjamaica.com> wrote:

> Thanks Hugh,
>
> I will pass on your hello to Elon :). Seems like a bit of configuration.
>
> Are you confirming that Interim-Update is required for COA?

Typically you want to use COA on a session that has exceeded some limit, therefore you need to know when the session has exceeded whatever limit and take action when it happens.

The only way to know what is happening with an existing session using RADIUS is via interim accounting.

> And how is COA triggered from the Billing/Provisional system?

You would have a periodic cron job or similar scan the database.

> Is COA described anywhere in the RADIATOR documentation?

COA is supported (or not) by the NAS equipment in question, and varies from one device to another.

Here is the help for the "radpwtst" utility:

Radiator-4.10 hugh$ perl radpwtst -h

usage: radpwtst [-h] [-time] [-iterations n]
          [-trace [level]] [-s server] [-secret secret] [-retries n]
          [-noauth] [-noacct][-nostart] [-nostop] [-alive] [-status]
          [-chap] [-chap_nc] [-mschap] [-mschapv2] [-eapmd5] [-eapotp] [-eapgtc] [-sip] [-leap]
          [-motp_secret xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] [-eaphex xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
          [-accton] [-acctoff] [-framed_ip_address address]
          [-auth_port port] [-acct_port port] [-identifier n]
          [-user username] [-password password]
          [-nas_ip_address address] [-nas_identifier string]
          [-nas_port port] [-nas_port_type type] [-service_type service]
          [-calling_station_id string] [-called_station_id string]
          [-session_id string] [-interactive]
          [-delay_time n] [-session_time n] [-input_octets n]
          [-output_octets n] [-timeout n] [-dictionary file,file]
          [-gui] [-class string] [-useoldascendpasswords]
          [-code requestcode] [-raw data] [-rawfile filename]
	  [-rawfileseq filename]
          [-outport port] [-bind_address dotted-ip-address]
          [-options optionfile]
          [attribute=value]...

You would use it something like this (depending on what specific attribute-value pairs the NAS requires):

	perl radpwtst -noauth -noacct -code Change-Filter-Request -s n.n.n.n -auth_port nnn -secret _the_shared_secret_ User-Name=someuser Acct-Session-Id=whatever …..

You will need to check your NAS documentation to verify exactly what is required, and you will need to do some experiments to discover exactly what works.