[RADIATOR] Idle timeout issue

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Mon Apr 16 02:44:22 CDT 2012

On 04/13/2012 05:04 PM, Jennings Tuala wrote:

> This never used to happen before. Prior to this issue, all sessions
> would run continuously for the entire provisioned time (which was what
> we wanted). Eg. A 2 hour pass would have a 2 hour continuous session
> until it ran out, regardless of whether the laptop went into sleep
> mode/shutdown/rebooted…etc.

I think when the above happens, the NAS (WLAN controller/hotspot or
other device) will in practice always disconnect the user and send
Accounting-Request with Acct-Status-Type = Stop.

> This issue just cropped up recently. I read somewhere that the mysql
> database might be sending a kill switch but I’m not sure as I’m a mysql
> novice. I have however checked my database and can’t see anything
> regarding idle timeout or session timeout, but then again, I could be
> looking in the wrong place. L

There is a possibility to disconnect user with RADIUS, see
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5176 for more.

However, this must be configured and done with radpwtst (or similar
tool) or from a Hook from Radiator. So you would definitely know if this
is happening.

In my opinion the Accounting stops you see is what normally happens when
a users leaves the network (client shutdown, reboot, sleep, etc.).

> Really appreciate your help and response as this is an issue I would
> love to solve before we launch our hotspot service.

See goodies/blocktime.txt for an option. The idea is to use accounting
stops to subtract from time available for the user. When the users logs
in again, the returned Sesstion-Timeout reflects what's currently left.

Note: if you want to try this, add 'HandleAcctStatusTypes Stop' to the
AuthBy to make sure possible accounting alives are not processed here.

Thanks!
Heikki

NetWare etc.