[RADIATOR] VLAN RADIUS attributes and packets

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Mon Sep 12 14:25:48 CDT 2011

On 09/12/2011 05:34 PM, Jethro R Binks wrote:

Hello Jethro,

> My observation is that Radiator adds the attributes to all the packets,
> including the Access-Challenge packets.  I would vaguely have thought that
> they only matter on the Access-Accept final reply, however I am beginning
> to suspect that some of my APs do care and don't work properly if the
> attribute appears in the Access-Challenge responses (in discussion with
> vendor about that one).

If you find out if there's a problem with the AP behaviour, please let
the list know. So far I have not heard about attributes in
Access-Challenges causing problems.

> Does anyone have a view on what correct behaviour should be, whether it
> matters, or if this is know to cause an issue with some hardware?

Closest discussion I know of the topic is this:

But even this does not discuss Access-Challenge. It does hint for
caution, but in case of VLAN assignment, I would say the client should
just ignore the attributes until the Access-Accept.

> Is there a way to ensure that the attributes are only added to the final
> reply, in case it does actually matter in some environments?

You can move the AddToReply into inner AuthBy. The attributes will be
copied to outgoing Access-Accept but not to challenges.

If that is not possible, you could use a PostAuthHook that checks the
result and only does add_attr() if the result was ACCEPT. See the
reference manual for more about PostAuthHook parameters and
goodies/hooks.txt for PostAuthHook examples.

Thanks!
Heikki

NetWare etc.