[RADIATOR] Assigning IP's directly from the Radius server

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Mon Feb 7 04:39:35 CST 2011

Dear Gerard,

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Gerard Alcorlo Bofill wrote:

> Heikki, you do understood my problem.
> And you confirmed me my suspicions, Framed-* attributes are ONLY for
> connections such as PPP or PPPoE.
>
> I wanted to do all this work to have all logs centralized to radius and
> to be able tu run radwho.cgi script to see which IP addresses were being
> used in real time.
>
> At this moment radwho.cgi is not showing the assigned IP address because
> radius doesn't know the IP assigned by the DHCP server. The problem is
> that if I want to trace a connection I need to match the MAC address at
> the DHCP server and the Radiator server.
>
> Do you think trying to pass the IP using SNMP traps from the AP would
> be a good option or is there easier solution?

The usual way to get the assigned ip would be to process radius accounting. Accounting records would also fill your session database which radwho.cgi could then query.

Accounting would get you start, stop and interim records which all included the actual assigned ip.

This would also let you have the nas assign the ips which is also much more stable in the long run.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2