[RADIATOR] PEAP Issue

Adam Bishop Adam.Bishop at ja.net
Tue Feb 1 09:41:53 CST 2011

Looks like you're right with the PEAP/SAMBA issue, seems to be a broken
SAMBA version.

Not sure how I'm going to solve this without an OS switch or compiling
from source - looking at the original thread, the password hash gained
from ntlm_auth needs to be hashed a second time?

Would simply patching in a round of hashing correct this?

Adam Bishop

On 01/02/2011 15:16, "Heikki Vatiainen" <hvn at open.com.au> wrote:

>On 02/01/2011 03:49 PM, Adam Bishop wrote:
>> Encountering an odd issue with MSCHAPv2/PEAP
>>
>> I have 2 Radiator instances ­ one based on Debian 5, one on Ubuntu
>>10.04LTS.  They share a config file (barring secrets), and the Debian
>>one works fine.  There is a difference in patch level ­ If I remember
>>correctly, the Debian install is a few patches out of date.
>>
>> The Ubuntu one accepts PAP, TTLS/PAP and TTLS/MSCHAPv2, but
>>PEAP/MSCHAPv2 fails.  The system is authenticated against active
>>directory - ntlm­auth --request-nt-key works.
>>
>> The only thing that stands out in the proxied trace is the MD5 failure
>>- libdigest­md5-perl is installed (as far as I know) and seems to be
>>used:
>>
>> root at orps3:/var/log/radiator# lsof -p 1488 | grep -i md5
>> radiusd 1488 root  mem    REG  251,3    18640  525298
>>/usr/lib/perl/5.10.1/auto/Digest/MD5/MD5.so
>>
>> The direct trace is just weird ­ NTLM_AUTH seems to give the OK, thenŠ
>>Nothing.
>>
>> Any suggestions anyone has are appreciated.
>
>You should list the EAP types separated by commas, not one per line. If
>you have them one per line, I think the last one is the only type
>Radiator is told to use.
>
>About MD5 failure, the client does like the suggested EAP type
>(MD5-Challenge) and sends a NAK, so that's why there is the failure.
>
>You may want to remove both instances MD5-Challenge EAPType unless you
>know you need it. For PEAP, EAPType MSCHAP-V2 is usually enough.
>

>The "then ... Nothing." behaviour after ntlm_auth looks like what was
>seen earlier, and the reason was ntlm_auth returning incorrect values,
>which make the MSCHAPv2 server authentication fail for the client. In
>other words, the client think server failed to authenticate itself and
>the client stop the authentication process.
>
>Please see ntlm_auth thread from last September:
>http://www.open.com.au/pipermail/radiator/2010-September/thread.html#16658
>

>--
>Heikki Vatiainen <hvn at open.com.au>
>
>Radiator: the most portable, flexible and configurable RADIUS server
>anywhere. SQL, proxy, DBM, files, LDAP, NIS+, password, NT, Emerald,
>Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory, EAP, TLS,
>TTLS, PEAP, TNC, WiMAX, RSA, Vasco, Yubikey, MOTP, HOTP, TOTP,
>DIAMETER etc. Full source on Unix, Windows, MacOSX, Solaris, VMS,
>NetWare etc.

Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG