[RADIATOR] LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR

Jim Tyrrell jim at scusting.com
Tue Dec 13 04:48:11 CST 2011

Hi,

Can someone shed light on what the error message "LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR"
actually means?  I am seeing this quite frequently in the logs of our
Radius servers that connect to a load balanced cluster of LDAP servers.
I had suspected the connection being dropped/timed out on firewalls or
the load balancer, but Radiator is reporting this immediately after
attempting the lookup:

Tue Dec 13 10:04:49 2011: DEBUG: Rewrote user name to user123 at domain.com
Tue Dec 13 10:04:49 2011: DEBUG: Packet dump:
*** Received from 1.2.3.4 1645 ....
Tue Dec 13 10:04:49 2011: DEBUG: Handling request with Handler
'Called-Station-Id = /xxxxxxxx/'
Tue Dec 13 10:04:49 2011: DEBUG: Rewrote user name to user123 at domain.com
Tue Dec 13 10:04:49 2011: DEBUG: Handling with Radius::AuthLDAP2:
Tue Dec 13 10:04:49 2011: ERR: ldap search for
(&(uid=user123 at domain.com)(objectstatus=enable)(rasstatus=enable))
failed with error LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR.
Tue Dec 13 10:04:49 2011: ERR: Disconnecting from LDAP server (server
ldap-cluster:389).
Tue Dec 13 10:04:49 2011: DEBUG: AuthBy LDAP2 result: IGNORE, User
database access error

I cant see any obvious errors on the LDAP servers.  I assume as the
error message is instant after the lookup then it is getting some sort
of response from LDAP but doesnt like it for some reason?

Thanks.

Jim.