[RADIATOR] Status of Status-Server

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Tue Apr 12 05:19:10 CDT 2011

On 04/09/2011 01:26 AM, Alan Buxey wrote:

> just wondering what the current status or implementation level
> of Status-Server in RADIATOR for remote proxy AuthBy handlers?

It is implemented for Client side only.

For example, AuthBy RADIUS clause does not contain code to send
Status-Server requests to the next hop.

> I know the server can send stuff back to a Client (which may use Status-Server
> to detect if the RADIATOR is alive rather than just relying on a
> response to a packet sent to determine if server is okay or not..)
> but wondering if there are any methods/hooks for the server to throw
> a status-server to the AuthBy RADIUS/RADSEC  remote proxy to see if its
> alive rather than rely on timers and reply timeouts for the behaviour -

I am not aware of any hooks that have already been written to handle this.

I think it could be possible to create a hook that does it. Maybe a pair
of NoReplyHook and ReplyHook. If a request times out, the NoReplyHook
could send out Status-Server and ReplyHook could then process it. I have
not checked the details, but that might be one way to send a Status-Server.

> we have a multi tier proxy architecture and it just takes one random
> badly configured site in the scheme for all sorts of nasty things to
> start occuring to a proxy in the middle of it.  I guess its RADIATOR
> dealing with Status-Server s a client rather than dealing with it
> FROM clients  :-)

Have you checked DeadRealmMarking?

http://www.eduroam.cz/dead-realm/docs/dead-realm.html

It's been very helpful for making sure one unresponsive endsite or proxy
does not kill the perfectly functioning next hop radius server.

Yours,
Heikki

NetWare etc.