[RADIATOR] clarification on AuthBy ROUNDROBIN failover

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Tue Oct 26 15:58:30 CDT 2010

Hello Andrew,

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 01:38:12 am Andrew Clark wrote:
> First one I sent to the list must've fallen through the cracks.
>
> I'm seeking some clarification on the failover behavior of AuthBy
> ROUNDROBIN and how to read the logs when servers are marked dead.  I
> have three hosts in the round-robin pool (via a round-robin DNS host
> name) and I can see that requests are being distributed correctly to
> all three.  What is unclear is the meaning of the logs when a server
> is marked out.  The three servers are of course at three different IP
> addresses, but I only see log messages about one of three IP addresses
> being marked down:
>
> Tue Oct 12 16:14:52 2010: INFO: AuthRADIUS: No reply after 3
> retransmissions to 134.84.119.107:1836 for foo  (). Now have 1
> consecutive failures over 0 seconds. Backing off for 300 seconds
> Tue Oct 12 16:14:52 2010: INFO: AuthROUNDROBIN: Retry 1,
> firstHostTried 0, lastHostTried 0
> Tue Oct 12 16:14:52 2010: WARNING: AuthROUNDROBIN: Request was tried
> for 1 times. All alive server from the RoundRobin list were tried.
> Tue Oct 12 16:14:52 2010: INFO: AuthRADIUS could not find a working
> host to forward to. Ignoring
> Tue Oct 12 16:14:53 2010: INFO: AuthRADIUS: No reply after 3
> retransmissions to 134.84.119.107:1836 for foo  (171). Now have 1
> consecutive failures over 0 seconds. Backing off for 300 seconds
> Tue Oct 12 16:14:53 2010: INFO: AuthROUNDROBIN: Retry 1,
> firstHostTried 0, lastHostTried 0

This means there was only one 'non-dead' server left in our list of server.

> Tue Oct 12 16:14:53 2010: WARNING: AuthROUNDROBIN: Request was tried
> for 1 times. All alive server from the RoundRobin list were tried.

This last message means that there was no reply from any of the 'non-dead'
servers it tried, and it ran out of servers to try.

Looks to me like at this stage 2 of the 3 servers had been marked as down (due
to no repsonse), and then there was no response from the third.

You may want to investigate why all the downstream servers failed to reply.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au
Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd

DIAMETER etc. Full source on Unix, Windows, MacOSX, Solaris, VMS, NetWare etc.