[RADIATOR] Multiple radiator instances on single server?

Andrew Clark adc at umn.edu
Mon Oct 11 17:46:54 CDT 2010

Great suggestion, Dave,

I just used that idea to finally get my authentication/accounting
split done in short order w/o disruption.  If you happen to run
TACACS+ as well, a run-time GlobalVar can come in handy, like so:

<ServerTACACSPLUS>
        # defined with GlobalVar at startup
        # see the radiator-auth and/or radiator-acct init scripts
        Port %{GlobalVar:tacacsport}

blah blah blah....
</Server>

and fire up the authentication process like so (which also handles all TACACS+)

/usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/radiusd -pid_file
/var/log/radius/radiusd-auth.pid -foreground -conf
/etc/radiator/radius.cfg -acct_port tacacsport=49

and the accounting process like so

/usr/bin/radiusd -pid_file /var/log/radius/radiusd-acct.pid
-foreground -conf /etc/radiator/radius.cfg -auth_port tacacsport=

Note that it seems you can't override a GlobalVar that is defined in
the configuration at startup like you can with auth_port or acct_port.

Of course, a separate TACACS+ process and configuration would probably
make more sense, if your RADIUS and TACACS+ worlds aren't horribly
entangled like mine.  At least this keeps silly accounting relay and
database issues from impacting authentication and buys me more time to
clean things up!

I should do a nicer write-up for the "goodies" directory.

--
Andrew D. Clark
Network Operations Engineer