[RADIATOR] Multi-homed, Virtual IP and source IP

Thomas Guthmann tguthmann at iseek.com.au
Tue May 25 02:01:30 CDT 2010

Hi Hugh,

> The load balancers that I have worked with rewrite the reply to the VIP address, [..]

If you are using LVS in Direct Routing mode [1], the real server
(radiator) will reply directly and won't go through the load balancer.
So nothing will modify the returning datagram source IP which will be
the IP of the radiator server and not the virtual IP.

So my main question is :
Do you think it's possible to modify Radiator to reply with the
Access-Request destination address as the source address for the reply ?

Either, radiator can do that automatically because it's smart enough or
we can force a replyAddressToUse per Handler or AuthBy (like
LocalAddress). "Send back the reply with this IP".

Does it make sense ?

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] : http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/VS-DRouting.html