[RADIATOR] "Wellness" metric

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Mon Sep 21 18:47:41 CDT 2009

Hello Dominic -

The best way to see what is happening is to use a trace 4 debug with
LogMicroseconds:

# requires Time-Hires from CPAN

<Log FILE>
	LogMicroseconds
	Trace 4
	Filename %L/microseconds-log-%Y-%m-%d
</Log>

This will include a six digit microseconds offset in each DEBUG
timestamp so you can see exactly how long each processing step is
taking.

Almost all cases of slow response I have observed are due to slow
database responses (SQL, LDAP, AD, .....).

And as mentioned already, it is handy to have a Wireshark (ethereal)
packet capture for comparison purposes.

hope that helps

On 22 Sep 2009, at 07:48, Alan Buxey wrote:

> Hi,
>> While troubleshooting some Wireless issues, the vendor in question is
>> trying to blame Radiator for being too slow in responding to radius
>> requests, and claiming this is causing issues with roaming.
>>
>> Is there an easy way (using Hooks?) to include the amount of time
>> it's
>> taking to process a RADIUS request, or some other "wellness" metric
>> we
>> can use to compare times without problems to times with problems?
>
> you could always sniff the traffic - eg wireshark or tcpdump tools
> which,
> with timestamps, would show you how long the outgoing packet took
> after
> the incoming request arrived......
>
> alan

NB: