[RADIATOR] (RADIATOR) Patch to hide user password when using tacacs+ and trace 4, 5

Markus Moeller huaraz at moeller.plus.com
Thu Jan 15 14:30:31 CST 2009

Hugh,

I am a bit surprised about your answer.  One of the difference between
Tacacs+ and Radius is that Tacacs+ encrypts the whole communication between
the NAS device and the Tacacs server and sends all AV pairs in clear through
the encrypted "tunnel" (The same way as EAP-TLS does), whereas Radius uses
clear text communication with an encrypted password in the password AV pair.
So when you dump the AV pairs for Tacacs+ (and EAP-TLS) it is after
decrypting the tunnel, so it is all visible. When you dump the AV pairs with
Radius you have still the encrypted password.

Here is a trace 4 output, where XXX is the password.

Thu Jan 15 10:41:41 2009: DEBUG: TacacsplusConnection Authentication
CONTINUE 0, markus,
Thu Jan 15 10:41:41 2009: DEBUG: TacacsplusConnection Authentication REPLY
5, 1, Password: ,
Thu Jan 15 10:41:43 2009: DEBUG: TacacsplusConnection request 192, 1, 5, 0,
3401247729, 14
Thu Jan 15 10:41:43 2009: DEBUG: TacacsplusConnection Authentication
CONTINUE 0, XXX,
Thu Jan 15 10:41:43 2009: DEBUG: TACACSPLUS derived Radius request packet
dump:
Code:       Access-Request
Identifier: UNDEF
Authentic:  N<244>d]<242><195><216><219>X<176><253> <19><127><137><183>
Attributes:
        NAS-IP-Address = 10.1.3.1
        NAS-Port-Id = "tty18"
        Calling-Station-Id = "10.2.5.2"