[RADIATOR] Query/Sumarise accounting records

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Mon Aug 10 18:14:13 CDT 2009

Hello Jim -

You can easily add several columns to your customer records for each
day of the week and for the month, and increment them when you process
the accounting records.

Then you will see the last 7 days and the month to date when you look
at the customer record.

You will of course need a daily cron job or similar to reset the
counters.

See section 5.29.18 in the Radiator 4.4 reference manual ("doc/
ref.pdf").

An alternative is to use a stored procedure or trigger in the database.

On 11 Aug 2009, at 00:27, Jim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not really a Radiator specific question but I expect plenty of you
> have
> done this.
>
> At the moment all our Radius accounting data gets logged to a MySQL
> database with a table per month.  I'd like to be able to easily pull
> data on individual users to see how much they have downloaded on a day
> or month, I would also like to be able to pull Top downloaders per
> month
> etc.  I'm struggling to work out an easy way to do this as adding up
> every accounting Start/Alive/Stop and subtracting traffic counters for
> data done in the previous day/month is going to have a big overhead
> and
> running this on a per user basis for 100k users will be a huge
> overhead.
>
> Does anyone have any advice on ways to implement this that are going
> be slick and scale to many users?  Maybe processing each Radius
> accounting record as they are inserted and updating a seperate table
> contraining usage for that current month/day?
>
> Any pointers appreciated as I have been looking at this a while and
> struggling to come up with a neat way of doing it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim.

NB: