[RADIATOR] Query/Sumarise accounting records

Jim jim at scusting.com
Mon Aug 10 09:27:28 CDT 2009

Hi,

Not really a Radiator specific question but I expect plenty of you have
done this.

At the moment all our Radius accounting data gets logged to a MySQL
database with a table per month.  I'd like to be able to easily pull
data on individual users to see how much they have downloaded on a day
or month, I would also like to be able to pull Top downloaders per month
etc.  I'm struggling to work out an easy way to do this as adding up
every accounting Start/Alive/Stop and subtracting traffic counters for
data done in the previous day/month is going to have a big overhead and
running this on a per user basis for 100k users will be a huge overhead.

Does anyone have any advice on ways to implement this that are going to
be slick and scale to many users?  Maybe processing each Radius
accounting record as they are inserted and updating a seperate table
contraining usage for that current month/day?

Any pointers appreciated as I have been looking at this a while and
struggling to come up with a neat way of doing it.

Thanks.

Jim.