(RADIATOR) Patch to hide user password when using tacacs+ and trace 4,5

Markus Moeller huaraz at moeller.plus.com
Sun Mar 9 19:11:10 CST 2008

> On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Markus Moeller wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> The User-Password attribute is encoded when Radius is used and the
>> logging with trace 4 or 5 does not reveal the password.
>
> You mean the password is ot revealed because it is "mangled/obfucated"?

Yes

> You know the authenticator, you know the secret thus you know the
> plaintext password when looking at your tracelevel 4 logs.

I also forward messages with syslog to a central syslog server for
monitoring (although ususally not with trace 4,5 but can happen when
debugging)

> If you say, but if joe random on that machine sees the logs he doesn't
> know the secret, then it's a matter of the ownership/permissions of
> your logfiles as it would be of your radius configuration.

I may have logfiles readable for operators but not the clients file with the
secrects

> A tracelevel > 3 is there for aiding in debugging and it's pretty
> obvious that you can get a lot of information that way to find a
> problem.  That's how the system is designed to work.

True, but for example the radius code has also a section commented to not
log the cleartext password.

> just my 2cts.

Thank you
Markus