[RADIATOR] Rate limiting support.

Patrick Renkens p.renkens at uci.ru.nl
Wed Jun 25 09:08:15 CDT 2008

Hi,

I know there have been a few discussions in the past about 'rate
limiting RADIUS requests', but as far as I know there is no option for
this within Radiator (4.2)?

The situation for which I would like something like rate limiting is
mainly a radius to radius (proxy) setup. The main reason for wanting a
rate limiting possibility is the fact that every now and then, a bad
configured client or RADIUS-server, is sending out such an amount of
RADIUS-requests to our proxies that other users might suffer from it.
At least our RADIUS-probes from a monitoring system tend to fail
(timeout) because of such a situation (and I get a phonecall in the
middle of the night).
In a situation like this I would like to limit the requests for this
particular client (remote RADIUS server) to ensure proper service for
the other users. Completely disabling the client is maybe too much,
because they still send valid request from correctly configured clients.
I cannot use the parameter DupInterval because the requests have
different RADIUS Identifiers.

So, is there a way for rate limiting RADIUS requests?

Kind regards,
Patrick Renkens