[RADIATOR] Multiple Instances - Windows Services

Joe Hughes joeyconcrete at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 03:08:01 CDT 2008

Hi

Our RADIUS traffic has increased lately, in part due to the number of
subscribers but also because the telco has increased the interim
accounting update period from 60 minutes to 10 minutes... Recently we
are noticing some messages aren't getting either received or handled,
causing us to miss Stops\Alives etc.

We've also noticed our secondary server (which is normally idle) has
started to receive (and process) Accounting messages. The primary
server isn't heavily loaded, there's no DB errors logged and it
"appears" to be ticking over fine. There's no sign of packet-loss or
firewall drops.

My obvious thought was the database is blocking, but that doesn't
appear to be the case.

Eitherway, I figured it would be prudent if I split the
Accounting\Auth functions into separate instances.

Taking our existing config file which handles both Accounting and Auth
functions (radius.cfg) is it literally a case of;

- Copying radius.cfg to radius-acct.cfg and nulling the Auth port
- Copying radius.cfg to radius-auth.cfg and nulling the Acct port

Installing a new service but using the command-line to point to
radius-acct.cfg (service-name = Radiator-Acct)
Installing a new service but using the command-line to point to
radius-auth.cfg (service-name = Radiator-Auth)

Is that pretty much all there is to it? Are there any pitfalls I
should be aware of when running separate instances for each function?

Cheers

Joe