[RADIATOR] trouble with LDAPv2 and simple bind

Matt Richard matt.richard at fandm.edu
Wed Jul 2 14:14:12 CDT 2008

Hello,

I am working on upgrading Radiator from 3.17.1 to 4.2 on my Mac OSX
10.4.11 systems.

In one authentication scenario, a Cisco VPN3000 authenticates against
Radiator.  Radiator in turn uses LDAPv2 with ServerChecksPassword to
authenticate user passwords.

Server #1 is still running 3.17.1.  It is working just fine.

Server #2 is running 4.2 with patches up to 2008-06-27.  Radiator on
this server cannot perform simple binds to authenticate users.  The
password seems to be munged before it gets sent from Radiator to the
LDAP server.

When I do a packet capture on Server #1, looking at the ldap bind, I can
see the password in cleartext.

However when I do the same capture on Server #2 the password is longer
and it does not match the cleartext of the user password.

Both servers are Mac OSX 10.4.11 and are using the same perl modules
including perl-ldap-0.36.  They are also using the same configuration files.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

-Matt

--
Matt Richard '08