[RADIATOR] L2TP-Tunnelendpoints, round robin...

Wallner Martin Martin.Wallner at etel.at
Wed Aug 27 03:25:16 CDT 2008

Hi All,

I have a litte problem here.

We are selling DialIn Ports to some resellers, they get a number and we
are forwarding the calls via L2TP from our RAS (Max TNT's) based on the
CalledStationId to their equipment. Usually, this is only one Router,
but now one of them has surprised me with the wish that they have now 2
receiving routers, and would like to a) get both of these NASes
populated, preferrable symmetrically and b), if possible, if one of the
routers is down, all of the traffic should go to the other one...

Since this customer is reselling our product too (don't ask, we DO have
a slightly crazy market situation here), he told me that he's doing this
roundrobin with his customers on radius (he's using FreeRadius)
decisions... here is a snipplet of the config for this in the
userfile...

---- FreeRadius User ------------
username
	Tunnel-Type += L2TP
	Tunnel-Server-Endpoint += :1:86.59.39.56
	Tunnel-Server-Endpoint += :2:86.59.39.58
	Tunnel-Client-Auth-Id += xxxxxxxx
	Tunnel-Password = :1:firstPW
	Tunnel-Password = :2:secondPW
	Tunnel-Preference += :1:10
	Tunnel-Preference += :2:20

Is this notation also possible in a plaintext-userfile for RADIUS (so
that the client will receive 2 Server-Endpoints?). And, since my
customer is doing this for CISCO-Equipment and I have a TNT here as a
RAS, is the TNT understanding (and capable of handling) this special
setup?

regards
Martin Wallner