(RADIATOR) Need Help with Radius Load Balance

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Wed Sep 26 03:08:54 CDT 2007

Hello Andy -

Load balancing can be tricky as you have discovered.

Ideally you want to do forwarding on the basis of minimum response time.

We have used both Alteon and F5 load balancers in the past, as well
as the Radiator modules.

The F5's are very good, but they are also the most expensive - you
can do all sorts of amazing things with them though!

The Alteons are getting rather old these days, but they still work.

And as you say, you can simply use the AuthBy LOADBALANCE module in
Radiator.

The usual setup is two load balancers (primary and secondary RADIUS
targets for the NAS devices) in front of two groups of RADIUS servers.

The Radiator hosts doing the loadbalancing don't have to be anything
special, as all they are doing is fairly simple proxying of RADIUS
requests.

BTW - we are available on a contract basis for design, implementation
and training as required.

NB:

radiator)?
Have you checked the RadiusExpert wiki: