(RADIATOR) Threading support (again)

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Mon Sep 3 18:29:35 CDT 2007

Hello Martin -

Thanks very much for your considered comments.

I concur with your analysis that Radiator is mostly the "meat in the
sandwich" with respect to the RADIUS requests being generated by the
NAS equipment on the frontend and the SQL database on the backend. It
is essential when designing such a system that the overall
characteristics be considered carefully. Clearly there is no point in
configuring a NAS to generate accounting alives too frequently (there
is no hard and fast rule, but I can't imagine a situation where you
would need more than one per hour at most). Equally there is no point
in creating huge accounting tables in the backend SQL database - a
much better approach is to use a different accounting table (easily
accomplished using "special" characters for the table name) for each
day and archive the completed ones during "quiet" times. If the data
is required for billing and customer access it can be postprocessed
on a separate database server on a daily basis.

The RADONLINE table is always a problem in high-volume systems, but
it can be impoved by using stored procedures and/or functions (recent
patches to Radiator 3.17.1 also support bind variables for those
databases that support them). The RADONLINE table can also be run in
a RAM disk if you have the appropriate OS and database support.

You can run multiple connections to the database simply by specifying
multiple DBSource lines (ie. one for authentication, one for
accounting, one for RADONLINE, etc). However, you need to make
absolutely certain that this is really going to improve things (YMMV).

Another big problem that is commonly seen is the flood of access
requests that occurs when a NAS concentrator is bounced - such a
device terminating several thousand DSL connections will swamp any
RADIUS backend system. If your NAS equipment supports rate-limiting,
you can configure it there (preferred), alternatively I have written
a couple of different versions of rate-limiting hooks that are
included in the Radiator distribution in "goodies/hooks.txt".

As has been mentioned before, it is always a good idea to run two
instances of Radiator - one for authentication and the other for
accounting. This is easy to do with a singe configuration file
together with parameters passed in on the command line at startup. In
my consulting practice I often end up designing systems with a
"frontend" instance of Radiator which is used to classify the RADIUS
requests into "services" and proxy them to multiple "backends", such
as "dialup", "DSL", "VPN", "Wireless", etc. on the same host. This
makes much better use of multi-processor machines (think of it as
controlled multi-threading), and it also has the added benefit of
making each separate configuration file much simpler.

Most large-scale RADIUS systems run two hardware load-balancers
(primary and secondary RADIUS targets as seen from the NAS
equipment), in front of multiple Radiator hosts configured as above,
with a very fast high-availablity SQL database host on the backend.

Many thanks for a very useful discussion - if anyone has additional
comments I would be most interested to see them.

BTW - we are available on a contract basis for design, implementation
and training as required.

best regards

Hugh

NB: